A variety of models account for the substitution patterns of the 3170 exons. Best-fitting models of sequence evolution selected for 99% of the candidate markers are here illustrated. The 22 other best-fitting models that describe the remaining 1% of the exons are here not represented. Blue, orange, and green colours respectively depict models involving Gamma distribution (Γ), invariable sites (I), and a combination thereof (Γ+I). Abbreviations: GTR (General Time Reversible), TVM (Transversional model), HKY (Hasegawa, Kishino, Yano 85), TrN (Tamura-Nei 93), TIM (Transitional model), K81 (Kimura 81), and SYM (Symmetrical model); ef (equal base frequencies), and uf (unequal base frequencies).